Tuesday, January 29, 2008

more packing, laundry info

So, after a few conversations with Eisleben natives, it seems that there is no laundromat available here. We are still working on checking the availability of the washing facilities in the place we will be staying, but I'm willing to bet they won't let us use them willy-nilly. Please, don't bank on finding a place to do laundry.
However, I will encourage you yet again to pack light! I walked from my apartment (which is in the middle of the city) to the train station the other day, without luggage, and it took me almost 20 minutes. The place you will be staying is a little further on the other end of town. This means, when you get off the train, and you are tired, you will still have a 30-minute walk ahead of you, if you move somewhat quickly, WITH your baggage. Yes, there are certain things you need. But, if you're really honest with yourself, there are many things you will want to pack that you will not need (I know I brought waaaaaay too much stuff with me). Keep that haul in mind as you pack a second suitcase.

On the up side, the weather here is much nicer than I, personally, had anticipated. Most days, I have been fine in jeans, a long sleeved tee, and winter jacket. It does tend to be kinda wet, though--not really rainy, but just soggy pants-legs (but, then again, I wear my jeans far too long) and a damp cold. So, you know, that means you'll fewer jackets and such.

No comments: