Saturday, December 26, 2009

Notes for 2010 Trip

Clothing for the Germany Trip:
I have had several folks ask me about clothing for the spring break trip to Germany. Here is my basic advice – take very little. You don't want to be lugging around a heavy case, and the Germans will think it excessive if you do. They wear their clothes many, many times before laundering. The cost of water is high. I wash my socks and underwear in the sink, hang on the radiator. I wear pants and shirts without washing. You should be able to get everything in an oversized book bag. I carry a 2.0 cubic liter/carry-on size bag.

Here is what I will take:
2 pair Khaki pants – these fit better over thermal underwear
1 pair Jeans
2 Long sleeve shirts
1 long-sleeved tee
Tees: 1 "under shirt" tee, 1 Clemson tee
Socks: 3 pair
Underwear: 3 pair
1 set thermal underwear!!!
Jacket: 1 - the type with a rain-resistant outer shell and removable liner.
DayHiker type shoes
Shower shoes (flip-flops)
(For the trip over I wear the Khaki pants, long sleeve shirt, jacket)

Here is my wife’s list:
Khakis: 2
Jeans: 3
Long sleeve crew neck shirts: 3
Fleece pullovers: 2
1 pair "silk" long underwear (for layering and pajamas)
Clemson Tee: 1
Socks: 4
Underwear: 4
Bras
Jacket w/ removable lining
1 hat, 1 pair gloves, 1 scarf
Day hiker boots
Tennis shoes

Luggage

We will be doing a lot of walking. We will be riding trains. Pick out a piece of luggage which you can easily carry. A backpack style works well. Roller bags do not.

The bag I carry is no longer available. Here is one very similar, though a bit larger. http://www.rei.com/product/786932.

Last time I took a backpacking type backpack. The one I took has a detachable day bag. This allowed me to have a smaller bag for day trips, but still only have one bag when we were traveling.


Luggage Tag
Make sure you do have a luggage tag on your bags. The paper ones at the airport are fine, but something more durable is better.

Here is the address for our first night in Germany:

Gästehäuser der Berliner Stadtmission
Lehrter Strasse 68
10557 Berlin
Germany
Tel. 0049 30 39835 011


Electricity

If you plan to use electricity while you are in Germany, you will need a converter. These are easy to find a rather cheap. You only need the standard "European" converter. NOTE: A converter is different from a plug adapter. The latter simply makes it possible for you to plug in the appliance.

Some appliances (like laptops) come with a converter inline (that is the little box in the middle of your electrical cord.) Cell phones typically do not. If you plug a cell phone charger without a converter, you are likely to burn it out.

You can recharge batteries with no problem, or power up a laptop. One thing that doesn't work so well is hairdryers. They require more amps than typically can be supplied with an over-the-counter converter. Many American hairdryers burn out quickly. In the past, our groups have simply gotten there and purchased a dryer there. You can get one for around 17 euros and share it with the group.

Money

A big question is what to do about money while traveling. It is really very simple and easy.

You can exchange USD for Euros at most American Banks. You can also do so at airports on either side of the ocean. You can take out Euros at the ATM's in Germany. There is a fee. You should check with your bank before you leave. You cannot get this information from the ATM’s in Germany.

I will get some Euros before I leave - probably 150 or so. My bank has a flat fee whether I get 100 or 10,000. So, I will be happy to get some for you, too.

Germans tend to use cash. They don't pull out the Debit card at every meal. Be considerate and plan to pay cash for your meals. If you want to use a credit card for souvenirs, that should work. But, you never know what that service fee is going to be.

If you are planning to use a credit or debit card, REMEMBER to call your bank before you leave and let them know that you will be in Germany. If they don't know this and charges appear, they may shut the card down.


Document Security

It is a good idea to purchase one of those Passport Pouches which hangs around your neck and goes under your clothing. Nothing is as precious to you, while abroad, as your passport. Mine is around my neck all the time (I put it under my pillow at night and hide it when I am in the shower - actually I hand mine to my wife and ask her to hold it till I return.) I also put my VISA Card in this pouch - provided I won't need it during the day. I plan out my day so as to minimize the times I will need to pull this pouch out.

I also make two copies of my passport. I put one in a separate bag so it won't disappear if the real one does. The second copy I leave with the secretary at the Church. (I will be asking all of you to bring me a copy for this purpose.) A copy at the Church means someone could FAX a copy to me, if I lose everything.

While speaking of documents - I also make two copies of my insurance card. Same drill as above. Make sure that your insurance has international travel coverage.

I also carry my SC Driver's License. This is a good, photo ID. I carry it separate from my Passport - loose one, got the other one.

I would also recommend that you take your University ID. Almost all the museums offer "Student Rates." With that ID, you are set.


Internet Access

There are internet cafes in the cities we will be visiting. There are not Wi-Fi hotspots; laptops are not all that useful – leave them at home. You can send messages home. I will also be sending quick notes to family and friends whenever I get to a terminal. Send me the addresses you want me to include in these notes back home. Forewarn folks, these will be quick notes assuring folks that we are okay. Get those addresses to me by March 1.


Cell Phones

Some cell phones do work in Europe. Mine does not. I will be obtaining a Tracfone, with a German number. I will send that number to the folks on the “family and friend” list mentioned above.

No comments: